Why EPDM tank liners are a superior option in liquid containment
Friday, September 12, 2014
are considered an important element of irrigation, industrial and potable water storage tanks. Russetts Developments Ltd have years of experience supplying EPDM and Butyl rubber tank liners, however we do also supply alternative tank liner materials for the containment of more aggressive liquids or for the onsite lining of complicated shaped tanks where prefabrication is not an option. These other tank liner materials include Polypropylene, Flagon Soprema synthetic liner of TPO modified Polyolefin and Flagon Soprema PVC. In this article we compare EPDM versus Butyl tank liner materials used in the majority of installations or tank refurbishments.
When the contents of a storage tank are prone to corroding it, a tank liner
becomes an important addition to ensure tank longevity and preventing contamination of contents. Replacing a tank costs far more than installing a tank liner both in monetary terms and labour costs.
EPDM and Butyl material as used in tank liner installations look similar however, EPDM is slightly superior on ageing and physical properties plus costs less therefore is becoming a more popular choice.
Advantages of installing a EPDM rubber tank liner
- Durable with a 30-year performance history
- Exhibits high tensile strength
- Resistant to punctures, UV radiation, microbial attack and extreme weather conditions
- Highly flexible with a low co-efficient of thermal expansion and contraction - able to expand and contract while maintaining its integrity
- Exhibits excellent elongation characteristics
- No leaching of plasticisers
- Easy to install due to its flexible nature
- Easy to repair
EPDM and Butyl rubber materials have been used in a number of different industries where there is a need for liquid or water containment, such as to line lakes, ponds, reservoirs, golf course water features, irrigation ponds, fish hatcheries and in the agricultural industry.
Russetts Development have been supplying tank liners to the fire protection industry for the past thirty years and also have extensive experience in providing tank liners for the following types of tanks:
- Aluminum / Galvanized cylindrical bolted panel sprinkler and potable water storage tanks.
- Elevated rectangular sectional GRP/pressed steel tanks.
- Shaped concrete above and below ground basement tanks.
- WRC approved drinking water tanks.
We were also the first company to patent and tank liner 'Easfit' system to secure the liner in place around the circumference of the tank.
EPDM tank liners
have proved highly successful as a cheaper alternative to Butyl while also offering superior technical specifications. To find out more about our tank liner materials, installation and for a quote, please Contact Us
today for advice and information.